Convention Travel Grant -- Graduate Students
Deadline for Applications: June 1; Awards Announced: July 1
Email your application packet to RMMLA Executive Board Delegate Alan Blackstock at firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 pm Mountain Standard Time on June 1.
The RMMLA Student Travel Grant provides funding to the RMMLA convention in the amount of $250 each to two graduate students who would otherwise experience a financial challenge traveling to the convention to present a paper accepted for any one of the regular or special topic sessions held that year. Students finishing their studies and entering the job market are especially encouraged to apply. Two runner-up awards provide a waiver of the applicable convention registration fee.
Selection is based first on the completeness of the application, followed by a ranking based on five criteria: originality of research; scholarly context (reference to current research on topic); mechanics and style; coherent thesis statement; and contribution to scholarship in the field of study. To apply, one must:
- Be a current member of RMMLA.
- Have a conference paper based on original work accepted by the chair of an upcoming RMMLA convention session.
- Email your application packet RMMLA Executive Board Delegate Alan Blackstock at email@example.com by 11:59 pm Mountain Standard Time on June 1.
- Your application packet (written in English only) must include the following:
- A cover letter indicating the approximate costs of the applicant's travel to the RMMLA convention site.
- A statement from a department chair or college dean attesting to the fact that the applicant will receive no or minimal funding from his/her institution for the trip. In the case of independent scholars, a statement requesting funding within the cover letter will suffice.
- A copy of the email from the session chair indicating that the applicant's paper has been accepted for his/her session.
- A copy of the paper proposal.
- A one-page CV.
The awardees of the Travel Grants must:
RMMLA Executive Board reserves the right to vacate the award in any year that sufficient quantity or quality of submissions is not received by the announced deadline. The Executive Board’s decision will be announced on the website. After the initial acknowledgement of submission, correspondence is not maintained with applicants
- Pre-register for the RMMLA convention by August 1.
- Attend the convention and present his/her paper at the session.
- Provide travel receipts that show $ 250 in expenditures to the Executive Director after travel has been completed. Grant monies will be disbursed once these are received.